Saturday, July 2, 2011

Soraksan National Park

We managed to navigate through the Seoul subway to the bus station. We actually got on the right bus to Sokcho but it meant having an anxious bus driver directing us through ten parked bus to the one we want. Then, we even managed to take the city bus in Sokcho and get off at the right place. It was nothing less than miraculous.

The bus ride to Sokcho was spectacular. The mountains aren't that high but they are fantastically shaped like something from a movie. It's a surprise for me because when I was here before, the mountains looked like the opening scene in M.A.S.H. beautiful but bare of trees.  The government had started a reforestation program and the results are wonderful. The mountains are covered with 20- to 30-year-old trees.A beautiful landscape is even more lovely.

After checking in at the youth hostel, we headed to the park to hike. The first hike was to a series of waterfalls. John took some great pictures.  Then we took the wimpy way to the top of one of the mountains--a cable car. We could see all the way to the Pacific Ocean. I'm not a good enough writer to describe it but the photos will give you some idea. I can't believe I never made it here when I lived in Korea.

The only down side to the day was the humidity. I didn't know it was possible to sweat like this. At the end of the hike I looked like I had been swimming. Hopefully tomorrow will be a little more comfortable for hiking.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds simply beautiful! Good for you with the bus!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete