Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Journey Ends

John and I arrived home last night. When I woke up this morning, I was confused and didn't know where I was. My mind is still connected to the sights and sounds of Korea. It was an amazing trip. The biggest surprise for me was how much the Koreans remember the Peace Corps. When I told the Koreans that I had been a PCV, they all had some story about how they personally had a volunteer as a teacher when they were in school, or their mother did, or their nephew, or their friend. I am astonished at the impact we, as a group, had on Korea. And I am astonished and embarrassed by the deep gratitude the Koreans feel toward us. Koreans truly believe that we helped them, and they are sincerely grateful. I don't feel I deserve their thanks. I was in Korea to learn about another culture, to help a little, and most importantly to have a good time. I received far more than I gave. Most former volunteers feel the same way, but somehow we managed to make a difference.

So, I say goodbye to Korea, but a little bit of my spirit will always remain in the Land of the Morning Calm.




1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have been with you! It is so gratifying to hear about the new Korea. It was obvious from your pictures and descriptions how much has changed and yet remained the same. Thanks for doing the blog; I really enjoyed reading it. It must have been incredible for your son to have such a unique vacation experience. Take care.

    ReplyDelete